Saturday, July 9

Tried It & Loved It: Lemon Coconut Bars*














*Or in my case these would be called Citrus Coconut Bars.  I had two lemons which I thought would be enough.

But it wasn't.

And then I spilled the lemon juice before it made it into the mixing bowl.  Then I really didn't have enough.  So I used some limes.  We all like lemon lime soda, right?  Why not Lemon Lime Citrus Coconut Bars?  It works, right?

Anyhow, these are just a delightful late night treat.  Not that I would know anything about that.  And can you tell I have this thing for lemon?  

By NO means does my photo do these lovely little bites any justice.....take a peek at Jamie's photos of her Lemon Coconut BarsI want to be a food stylist just like her when I grow up.  But I keep telling myself, I have a very busy little girl with very grabby hands and a love for sweets just like her mama.  At least that's my excuse for right now, anyway. 

But do try these, they are YUM!



























Lemon Citrus Coconut Bars ~ slightly adapted from My Baking Addiction

1 1/2 cups flour (Jamie uses all-purpose, I used all soft white wheat)
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar (I went with a little less, it was about 1/3 cup)
3/4 cup cold butter (Jamie says or margarine, and you can certainly do that, but we all know how I feel about margarine)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice (I did a mix of lemon and lime)
1 teaspoon baking powder
Zest of 2 lemons and 1 lime
1 cup flaked coconut (mine was grated, which might have something to do with the presentation)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a 9 x 13 pan by lining with foil or parchment and spray with non stick cooking spray. 

In a bowl, combine flour and confectioners sugar.  Cut butter into mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.  (You may also use a food processor to do this.)  Press into the bottom of prepared pan.  Bake for 15 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven.

While crust is prebaking, mix eggs, sugar, lemon/(lime) juice, zest(s), and baking powder until well combined.  Pour over *slightly* cooled crust and sprinkle coconut evenly over top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool completely on wire rack and cut into bars.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails