Monday, July 25

Fresh Cherry Scones with a Sweet Almond Glaze

It had been no more than a week after we finished up the cherries that we Hubs picked 4th of July weekend, that our sweet landlord called and asked if we wanted some cherries from her brother's orchard.  Of course I would never turn down fresh picked cherries, so I jumped at the offer.  But then as I was filling up a big bowl of cherries to take, I remembered that we are going out of town, so I better cool it with taking so many because there is no way we are going to finish them up before we leave.



























Enter getting creative with meals to eat some more cherries.  After Hubs ate his first scone, he asked if he could have another one.  I said of course, and as he was walking away, he says something about selling these.  What a nice Hubs, huh?  Oh and for the record, no, he doesn't normally ask permission for seconds, but he knew I hadn't taken pictures yet for the blog, so he wasn't sure what was "allowed."  Isn't he a good blogger husband? 



























Fresh Cherry Scones

2 cups flour (I used fresh ground soft white wheat, but all purpose would work fine too)
3 1/2 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cup fresh cherries; stemmed, pitted, chopped (should be 1 1/4 cups after stemming, pitting, and chopping)
4 to 6 Tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients and cut butter into dry mixture using a pastry cutter or two knives.  Mixture should resemble coarse crumbs.  Add in egg, fresh cherries, and about 3 tablespoons of milk (to start) and fold together.  Fold until just moistened, adding more milk if necessary.

On a lightly floured surface, pat dough into a disk, about 1 inch thick.  You will want to flour the top of the dough as well, as it will be sticky.  Cut the disk like a pie into even sized scones.  I was able to get six generous sized scones.

Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Let cool completely prior to glazing.

Sweet Almond Glaze

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract

Mix together ingredients until smooth.  If consistency is too thick, add a shade more milk.  If consistency is too thin, add a dash more powdered sugar.  Wing it like I do! ;)  Drizzle over cooled scones. 



♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

This recipe is linked to:

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Designs By Gollum Foodie Friday
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen  (Friday Potluck will be hosted at girlichef for the month of July)
Hearth 'n Soul Recipe Swap at A Moderate Life

La Bella Vita's Fresh Clean and Pure Friday 
Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday



14 comments:

Kathryn said...

Your scones look and sound fabulous! Please share your recipe with our readers by linking it up at Muffin Monday. Thanks!

http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-pudding-whole-wheat-muffins

Melinda said...

I got some cherries from a friend as well and they are sitting in my freezer begging me to get creative! This looks yummy!

Lisa said...

Will have to try these! Thanks for sharing. :) ~Lisa

Our Italian Kitchen said...

Your scones look amazing. Can't wait to try these!

Jenn said...

He is a very good blogger's husband!! My father-in-law was saying how cherries are expensive in the stores right now, so you are lucky you have a hookup!!! These scones sound delicious and I am always willing to try anything with almond extract in it! You should come and enter my cookbook giveaway! http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2011/07/30-minute-rolls-and-giveaway.html

Miz Helen said...

Hi Jackie,
I just picked up some fresh cherries at the Farmers Market and this will be a perfect recipe to try. It looks sooooo good. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
Miz Helen

Alea Milham said...

we love scones and tea parties at our house. I have never had cherry scones before, but your recipe looks delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful photos! I love scones! Visiting from Miz Helen's.

HotPinkandPurple said...

Cherry season is back & so I decided to try making some cherry scones... I happened upon this recipe and it sounded just right so I made it tonight. Let me tell you these are delish!!! Better than I'd expected. I think these just may even beat my current fave apple scone recipe! Thank you!

Cassie B said...

On the hunt for tasty recipes for the fresh fruit I bought this week, and came across this via good old Google Search. These were easy - my first time making scones ever - and SO GOOD! Thank you!

paperdollsuicidepact said...

I got some lovely fresh cherries in and while looking for something to do other than scarf them down I came across your recipe. I tried it but the results were.... odd. My dough turned grey! I still baked them to see what would happen and they seemed to come out okay, but they never really lost their strange color. Any clue what I did wrong?

Anonymous said...

Yum!! These were delicious! I didn't have ingredients for the glaze, so served them naked and they were a hit!

Anonymous said...

You may have been a little too rough with the cherries and forced too much juice out of them, discoloring your dough. I saw your comment before I made mine, so I waited until after the egg and milk were mixed pretty well then folded in my cherries. They were really ripe, so I has spots of dough that were grey-ish too, but they tasted great!

rebecca said...

These are soooo delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails