Monday, July 11

Cranberry Chicken Salad Sandwiches or Salads

This is another great way (especially in the summer) to use up some leftover cooked chicken.  I had the last bit of roasted chicken that needed using up and I made chicken salad salads with them.  Still having some leftover the following day, we had chicken salad sandwiches for lunch.  This recipe comes from my Mom....so of course, it totally reminds me of my Mom.  Are there any foods that every time you have them, you get warm fuzzys because of a special person it reminds you of?

Yes, chicken salad reminds me of my Mom, among many other more wonderful things.

The day we brought Peanut home from the hospital, my Mom came to the hospital and helped us get all checked out and then rushed to Costco, got a truckload of groceries (you think I'm kidding) and then came over to our house and proceeded to cook the afternoon away.  It makes me tear up just thinking about it.  It was just so comforting to know she was there--and knowing I wouldn't have to cook didn't hurt either.  I don't about Hubs (he puts on a brave face), but I was feeling pretty overwhelmed the day we brought Peanut home.  Of course, I was just two days postpartum, so that might have had something to do with it, but still.

My Mom made three full meals (main dishes, sides, and dessert) that were enough to feed a family of six each (mind you we were a family of 2.1--in terms of mouths to feed), so we had plenty of leftovers.  She also brought tons of snacks and goodies, so we seriously didn't have to cook for the rest of the week.   She also made us these sandwiches for lunch that afternoon.  She probably used the canned chicken from Costco (which I use to buy all the time, but alas, no more) so I hadn't made them in awhile, but having the leftover cooked chicken last week, I thought, why can't I make my own?  So I did....



























Cranberry Chicken Salad Sandwiches or Salads ~ from my Mom

2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or small dice
3/4 cup sliced celery
2 green onions (whites and greens), sliced
1/2 cup dried cranberries
Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients together, adding mayo, salt, and pepper to taste.  Serve over a bed of lettuce for a yummy, main dish salad, or on toasted sandwich bread with leaves of lettuce for extra crunch.  Enjoy!


♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

This recipe is linked to:

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Designs By Gollum Foodie Friday
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen  (Friday Potluck will be hosted at girlichef for the month of July)
Hearth 'n Soul Recipe Swap at A Moderate Life

La Bella Vita's Fresh Clean and Pure Friday 
Life As Mom Ultimate Recipe Swap
Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday 

This Chick Cooks Recipe Swap


5 comments:

Tiffanee said...

Chicken salad is one of my favorite comfort foods. This one sounds delicious!! Can't wait to make it!!

Heather S-G said...

I love chicken salad in any form...this sounds like a perfect lunch for a day when I don't want to turn on that hot oven!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Jackie,
What a great chicken salad. I love cranberries so you have added a great ingredient. This would be a perfect lunch for me, right now.
Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Have a great week end!
Miz Helen

annies home said...

I love chicken salad and summer time and sandwiches goes together so well love your recipe come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

The Wise Alternative 918-836-0565 said...

I've been in a serious mood for some chicken salad with all of this hot weather. Looks great!

Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop last week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails