Monday, July 4

Cherry Almond Muffins

I mentioned that "we" went and picked cherries on Friday and by golly, have we been enjoying them!  We actually had to cut Peanut off (more than once) otherwise she would just keep eating more and more if we let her.  But I can't blame her--they are ever so tasty!

I have been trying to incorporate these little gems of goodness into our breakfasts because I don't want an ounce of these cherries to go to waste.   AND my shipment of soft white wheat came in (read: SUCH a happy girl) so I made some cherry muffins for breakfast.  Now I've made fresh cherry muffins before.  But I changed the recipe a little because how we eat now has changed from how we ate two years ago and well, because that's what I do--I wing it in the kitchen.  Regardless, they were SO tasty I decided to write a whole new post all about the changes I made!



























Cherry Almond Muffins

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups flour (I used freshly ground soft white wheat although all purpose or whole wheat would work just fine)
1 cup cherries, pitted and quartered (mine were Rainier this time)
1/2 cup sugar (I used rapadura)
2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Sliced almonds, for topping

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottoms of muffin cups or line with paper liners.

Beat milk, egg, and almond extract in large bowl.  Fold in cherries.  Add in remaining dry ingredients and melted coconut oil (last) and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.  (I add the coconut oil in last otherwise when you stir your coconut oil in with the cold milk/egg, the coconut oil starts to harden up and it doesn't mix as evenly. So I mix all my other "wet" ingredients, then add in my "dry" and then pour the coconut oil on top and mix it all together until just moistened.  This process works really well for me.)  Divide batter into muffin cups and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake for about 18-22 minutes. Makes about 1 dozen.


♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

This recipe is linked to:

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Designs By Gollum Foodie Friday
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen  (Friday Potluck will be hosted at girlichef for the month of July)
Hearth 'n Soul Recipe Swap at A Moderate Life

La Bella Vita's Fresh Clean and Pure Friday 
Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday 
This Chick Cooks Recipe Swap


9 comments:

Tegan said...

Thank you for sharing! They look delicious! I can't wait to make them for my family! :)

A side question - does aluminum free baking powder infer that some types of baking power have aluminum??

Tegan said...

Thank you so much for answering my question about aluminum - I had no idea!

And thanks too for the information on the grain mill. I know there are a lot of choices out there, and I would really have no idea where to start - so thank you for pointing me in the right direction! :)

Lisa said...

Oh my! These look and sound delicious and I can't wait to try them! My daughter and I bake a new muffin recipe each Monday and post about it; would you mind if we borrowed your recipe? We always give credit and link to websites that inspire our muffins. If not, that's ok -- we'll still bake them for our own enjoyment if not. Thanks so much for sharing! (visiting from Miz Helen's)

Anonymous said...

This looks so good. I'm having a recipe only link party "Cast Party Wednesday". This would be a perfect addition to my party. I would love it if you came by and shared some of your recipes with us.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Anonymous said...

Cherry and almond sound like a great combination for muffins!

Unknown said...

Looks great!

I would like to invite you to link up some of your recipes to my WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY:
"Made it on Monday"..link ups are open every Wed.-Sat.

I hope you will join me soon.

http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

Miz Helen said...

Hi Jackie,
Yummy, I just love fresh cherries and with the almond combination, will put these muffins over the top for me. I can't wait to try them.
Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!
Miz Helen

Heather S-G said...

I would adore these! And I'm much like Peanut in that I cannot stop eating cherries if they are there. I love them! ;)

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

What a lovely seasonal treat! Your cherry almond muffins look and sound just wonderful. Thank you for sharing them with the Hearth and Soul blog hop.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails