Saturday, October 15

Tried It & Loved It: Pumpkin Scones

In my former life, I made many a visit to a little coffee shop with the big green logo.  
 
You know the one.   

Why, yes, that would be Starbucks.

While I don't indulge very often anymore, Hubs and I usually make a stop at one on every visit we make on our way back to HomeTown.  I get so excited for our visits home.  

And my Mom and Dad thought that giddyness was about seeing them. 

Oh, how I kid. 

While I indulge in the coffee (and I use that term very loosely...most would not consider a Venti Peppermint Mocha with Whip a true "cup of coffee" but whatev...it is to me) on the trips home, I don't indulge in the pastries anymore.  Although I would love to...but the new "sensible" me just can't spend $2+ on something made of flour and water.  Name that movie.  

And yes, I completely see the hypocrisy in that. 

Over $4 for a cup of coffee but not the extra $2 for a scone. 

It's all about choices here, people. 

In my quest to satisfy that little indulgence, I came across this recipe, and while it is not the exact same, they are still good.  Very, very, good.


























 
Pumpkin Scones (a Starbucks copy cat) ~ adapted from Food.com

for the scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour (I did half all purpose, half soft white wheat)
7 Tbsp sugar (that would be a scant 1/2 cup, and yes, I used sucanat)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tbsp cold butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 Tbsp half-and-half  (I used whole milk)
1 large egg

for the powdered sugar glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp whole milk 

for the spice glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp whole milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ginger
1 pinch ground cloves


for the scones:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a Silpat mat. 

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl.  Using a pastry cutter, cut cold butter into flour mixture until mixture is coarse crumbs (the largest being no bigger than a pea).   In a seperate bowl, mix together pumpkin, half and half/milk, and egg.  Making a well with your dry ingredients, pour in wet ingredients and mix until just moistened. 

On a well floured surface, pat dough (using additional flour as needed) into a round disk shape and cut (like a pie) into six even portion.  Place on baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool completely prior to icing.  (A good reason to bake the night before!)

for the powdered sugar glaze:
Mix together powdered sugar and whole milk.  Mixture should be just a shade thicker than Elmer's glue.  (If necessary, add additional powdered sugar or milk to achieve desired consistency.)  Drizzle in a zig zag pattern over cooled scones. 

for the spice glaze:
Mix together powdered sugar, whole milk, and spices.  Again, the mixture should be just a shade thicker than Elmer's glue.  (As before, if necessary, add additional powdered sugar or milk to achieve desired consistency.)  Drizzle in a zig zag pattern (opposite to the powdered sugar glaze) over cooled scones. 



♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥



That movie would be Father of the Bride

And how can that be 20 years old?!??!!?

I mean, seriously?



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails