Saturday, October 22

Tried It & Loved It: Pumpkin Doughnuts














I am all about the fall flavors.  I mean, this recipe had me at pumpkin, but then combine that with doughnuts?  Well, that's just about over the top for me.  We all know how I love myself a doughnut.

Although, I did make an exception to my previously stated reasons for not frying the doughnuts last time and I fried them this time. And ohmylanta, were they good. 

Amazing, actually.  Of course, as Peanut was inhaling hers (like her mama) I said to Hubs, "Really though, what isn't good when it's full of sugar and deep fried?" 

Ahem. 

Alas, I didn't get a picture.  But please don't let that deter you, because these are SO yum. 

Pumpkin Doughnuts ~ adapted from The Happy Housewife 

2 cups flour (I did half all purpose, half soft white wheat)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup sucanat
2 Tablespoons butter (room temp)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup puree'd pumpkin
Oil for frying (I used coconut)

Powdered sugar for sprinkling

Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and set aside.  In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar/sucanat.  Add in egg and mix well.   Add in buttermilk, vanilla, and pumpkin and mix to combine.  Mix wet and dry ingredients together until mixture forms a ball. 

Heat a large amount of oil in a skillet or fry pan to be three inches deep.  (The amount will vary depending on size of skillet.)   Heat oil to 350 degrees or until LOTS of small bubbles quickly roll off a wooden spoon stuck in the oil.  

On a well floured surface, roll dough out (dusting with flour as needed) to a quarter inch thick.  Using either a doughnut cutter or one large, one small circle shape(s), cut out doughnuts.  Separate  holes from rings.  Fry in oil about 1-2 minutes per side, flipping to fry opposite side.  Lay on paper towels to drain and cool slightly.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar just prior to serving.  







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails