Sunday, March 7

Sweet & Sour Pork and Pineapple Stir-Fry























I've been trying to find some new pork recipes to try.  For a number of reasons...it seems like we eat a LOT of chicken and pork is often times a lot less expensive.  You know it is the other white meat. 

I made this stir fry for DH's folks when they were here last week and I did change some things around.  The original recipe called for fresh pineapple, and while I *heart* fresh pineapple, this is hardly the season for good ones and it's expensive this time of year.  So I used canned pineapple chunks--I know, I live on the edge.

Also it called for sugar snap peas, and I love those too, but they were pushing $5/lb and they were all limp at the store, so I decided not to waste my money and I substituted green pepper.  (As I am typing this, I suppose I could have used frozen snap peas--can you buy those frozen?--so that may have worked too)

So really this is just the "Jackie version" of this yummy, new, will definitely make again, recipe.
 
1 lb pork, cubed
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 Tbsp of cornstarch, divided
2 green bell peppers
1 medium onion (I used yellow, but it called for red and that would definitely be prettier)
1 can pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
5 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 cup apricot/pineapple preserves
1 Tbsp vegetable oil


5 cups Cooked Rice

Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium high heat.  Dice bell peppers and red onion in 1/2 thick wedges. Toss cubed pork with salt and 2 Tbsp of cornstarch and add to skillet.  Once the pork is browned on one side, add bell pepper and onion and cook until pork is finished and onion starts to brown.  Add pineapple chunks and warm through.

In a separate bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, remaining cornstarch and preserves.  Add to skillet and cook until thickened.  I thought more sauce was needed so I added about half of the juice from the can of pineapple.  It stretched the sauce a little further and added some more flavor. 

Serve over cooked rice.  Enjoy!

This recipe is linked to:



Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap






3 comments:

Brenda said...

Yummmm, I love sweet and sour dishes.

Upstatemamma said...

That looks great!! My egg rolls would go fabulously with that. :)

annies home said...

sounds delicious

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails