Tuesday, February 2

Horseradish Carrots























These are a family favorite.  I don't care for cooked carrots, but the horseradish just adds something to it that make them absolutely yummy!  And I will admit, when my mom made these for the first time 7 or 8 years ago (getting the recipe from a cooking class she attended), I thought, "Oh that's just gross."  But let me reassure you--they are good--real good.

You will need:

8-10 medium carrots
1 small onion
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1-2 Tbsp horseradish
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 slice bread
1 Tbsp butter, softened/room temp.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Slice round or julienne carrots.  Cook in lightly salted water for 5-6 minutes or until fork tender.  (Mine always take quite a bit longer.)  Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.  Place carrots in shallow, buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole.

Combine reserved carrot liquid, onion, mayonnaise, horseradish, salt, and pepper.  Spoon over top of carrots.  Butter the bread and whirl in the food processor.  Sprinkle over top of carrots.  (Can be done ahead to this point and refrigerated.)  Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.  Serves 4-6.

Enjoy! 




**This recipe is linked to the Life As Mom Ultimate Recipe Swap.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

One of my most favorite "side" dishes, ever! Our kids both love it, too. Yummy!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

These do sound really delicious - I love horseradish! Will definitely be giving them a try.

Marcia said...

I've never heard of this recipe, and I'm a recipe collector! These sound super! Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails