Tuesday, February 2

Homemade Chinese Food


We don't eat out hardly at all any more.  (Except for the "occasional" limeade, of course.)  So I've taken to making my own Chinese food and although it's not quite the same as what comes in the lovely little white take out boxes, it is still very good.  (That's probably because there is no MSG--I suppose I could buy some and add it in to make it truly authentic.)

I use this recipe for the fried rice, with a few twists.  I use butter instead of oleo (?!?!!--apparently the "first generation" of margarine) and I also add pork to ours and then garnish with sliced green onions. 

I was going to make Chow Mein, but I forgot to get bean sprouts this week and I've always liked the subgum at Chinese food restaurants, so I came up with this:

Pork Subgum


1 cup chopped onions
3 cups sliced celery
2 cups chopped broccoli
1 cup cooked, diced pork
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Soy sauce

Heat two tablespoons vegetable oil in frying pan and saute onions until softened.  Add celery and broccoli and cook until crisp tender.  Add pork and heat through.  Mix chicken stock and cornstarch and pour in pan and heat until thickened.  Add soy sauce to taste. Serve over Chinese Chow Mein noodles. I would have also added water chestnuts,  but I didn't have any.  I just love water chestnuts. 

Don't be afraid of making your own take out--it's pretty easy! (and probably much better for you!)

This recipe is linked to Life As Mom Ultimate Recipe Swap. 






1 comment:

Katie said...

sounds so yummy! I love chinese food but live no where near a good resturant. the one in the town where I live would be shut down by health inspectors from the States ever saw it. :) The food tastes okay but not great. I'm going to have to try this! I hardly eat out either, looking forward to some chinese at home. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails