Monday, November 15

Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream

I made a pumpkin ice cream last fall and it was quite tasty.   It was however, a little rich (even for me!).  It was an egg based recipe (it was cooked first) but I don't typically don't care for ice cream bases that have egg.  Not a french vanilla fan at all--but Vanilla Bean?  Absolutely.  Plus (and this is the primary reason), I don't like having to cook my ice cream bases.

Because I am lazy. 

And impatient. 

When you cook an ice cream base, you have to allow it to fully cool before making the ice cream.  The other night, when I had a hankering for pumpkin ice cream, and I wanted it sooner rather than later.  And I certainly didn't want to wait the 2-3 hours for it cool.

So I winged {wung?} it.  And it is definitely tasty enough to share with you. 

























Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream

3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar (I used dehydrated cane juice)
2 Tbsp. maple syrup (the real stuff)
3/4 cup puréed pumpkin (or canned pumpkin)
1 1/2 cups cream
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix whole milk and sugars until sugars are fully dissolved.  Add in remaining ingredients and mix until combined.  (Note: although the pumpkin is puréed, there will be some pumpkin pulp.  You can strain the final mixture through a sieve before processing if you desire a smoother texture.  But remember-- that pulp is good for you!)  Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers directions. 


This recipe is linked to:

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

Designs By Gollum Foodie Friday

Faithful Provisions Pumpkin Recipe Exchange
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

Hearth 'n Soul Recipe Swap  
Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Real Food Wednesday
Life As Mom Ultimate Recipe Swap
We Are THAT Family's Works For Me Wednesday




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just 4 words... Can we say YUMMY? Also when are you visiting? We need a Bunco sub this Wednesday night...

April J Harris said...

I've never had pumpkin ice cream before, but it sounds delicious!

Val said...

This looks and sounds like the best thing ever.

Heather S-G said...

You know what? I AM THE SAME WAY! I hate having to cook my ice cream bases. I'm far too impatient for that. This sounds awesome...the perfect autumn-inspired ice cream. I'm saving this recipe...for when I get the urge ;) Thanks so much for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, hate having to cook the base. This is great, we love ice cream year round. Perfect for the upcoming holidays. Thank you!

Natalie said...

I just re-found my ice cream maker yesterday - it had got lost when we moved house. So this sounds an ideal recipe to get it going again :)

Thank you for sharing it, I found you through the Hearth & Soul Blog Hop.

a moderate life said...

Hi Jackie! A good ice cream maker is so on my wishlist for christmas! I also just bought a jar of pumpkin pie spices from trader joe's and with one wiff, I was in heaven! this is such a special recipe! Also, please, if you have a twitter account let me know so I can add you to the hearth and soul hop daily twitter list and your articles will be shared on our new daily newspaper! Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop! Alex@amoderatelife

Unknown said...

This looks wonderful! I love ice cream and the idea of pumpkin ice cream makes me very very very happy! I've got to get an ice cream maker.

Also, I'm hosting a CSN giveaway this week and I'd love it if you checked it out!

Miz Helen said...

What a fun ice cream. My husband is the ice cream man here, he is going to just love this recipe. Thank you for sharing.
Miz Helen

Couscous & Consciousness said...

I actually find making egg-bases for ice cream very pleasurable, but if there's a quicker way to get ice cream I'm all for that too. I definitely have to try this one - I can't get canned pumpkin here though, so I'm going to have to cook and puree pumpkin, which I guess will make up for not making a cooked base :-)
Sue

Tiffanee said...

I am so craving this. I bought all the ingredients and can't wait to try it. Thanks for giving me my pumpkin ice cream fix!!

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy said...

Yum! That sounds so delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails