Monday, November 8

Potato Soup

This soup is amazing.  Years ago, I remember telling my friend, Sarah, how much I used to love the potato soup at Tony Roma's.  That's when Sarah revealed to me, "My mom has a really good recipe for potato soup."  I think I must of called her mom immediately and got the recipe from from her--and it was like she gave me the world.  Okay, maybe not the world, but it was (and still is) a real treat, nonetheless.

That was years ago and I don't even follow the recipe any longer.  Does anyone else do that?  You've made a recipe so many times that you don't even bother to pull it out....and somewhere along the way it just sort of becomes your own?  The key is the cream cheese--it helps to add that yummy thickness that makes potato soup soooo good. 























Potato Soup - adapted from Sarah's mom

2 Tbsp butter
1 cup onion, chopped
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock (that's six cups for all you folks out there like me)
2 1/2 pounds potatoes (I use baby red potatoes because I am completely lazy and I don't like peeling potatoes, plus the skins are good for you), cubed
(about) 2 cups of milk
6 oz.cream cheese, cubed
Salt and Pepper to taste

For garnish:

Shredded cheese
Chives or green onions
Crumbled bacon

In a large stockpot, saute the onions in the butter over medium heat until they are nice and soft.  Add in flour and allow to cook through--about 2-3 minutes.  Pour in the chicken stock and add in the potatoes.  Simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender but still hold their shape.

In a separate bowl, ladle out about 2 cups of the broth and add in the cubed cream cheese.  Stir to incorporate both and then use a stick blender to fully blend together.  (Note: you can also use a standard blender or food processor for this, but again, I am lazy and this is just less to clean up!)  The mixture will be thick and creamy.  Pour this back into stock pot along with the milk.   Allow this to heat through and season with salt and pepper to taste.

This a perfect, cold winter's day meal.  Garnish with shredded cheese, chives or green onions, and bacon if desired and serve with crusty bread and a side salad for a complete meal.

Note:  This is the same recipe I also use for clam chowder--simply add in two cans of minced clams, or better yet, about 8 oz. of fresh, minced clams as well as 6 oz of crumbled bacon and there you have it--Clam Chowder!  



**************************



This recipe/kitchen tip is linked to:

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

Hearth 'n Soul Recipe Swap 
Home and Pantry Recipe Swap
Life As Mom Ultimate Recipe Swap 




16 comments:

Annika said...

looks delish! We're going to have this soon.

Unknown said...

my goodness - this looks really good! I love potato soup! visiting from Hearth & Soul

Hunger and Thirst said...

Oooh, love the cream cheese secret, I've never tried that!! Potato soup was a standard in my house growing up, and it still is today. I think it's about the best way to use up slightly souring milk, and is easy and inexpensive to turn to when I don't know what else to make. Thank you for sharing the secret with the Hearth and Soul hop.

cheryl@scrapaddict4sure said...

I bet that cream cheese is a nice twist. I have bookmarked this recipe and I definitely making this . My family will glad I did!

Miz Helen said...

Oh my I just love potato soup. Your recipe looks very good and I will give it a try. Thank you for sharing.
Miz Helen

Melinda said...

Oh yum! The cream cheese is such a fun addition!

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

Yummy! This is perfect for this weekend. It's about to get cold here and I love a good starch!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Heather S-G said...

Yummmmy. This sounds similar to the loaded baked potato soup that I love so much...and it looks fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week :D

laughwithusblog said...

This looks great! I've never thought of putting cream cheese in my potato soup. I will have to try it!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Everyone needs a warm bowl of this to look forward to. Add some bread and a piece of fruit and call it dinner.

wacki04@TheKing'sCourt IV said...

Looks delicious!

I'd love for you to share your recipes each week at What's Cooking Wednesday! Hope to see you there :)

Cristi
http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

Natalie said...

I don't think I've ever had potato soup but this is definitely soup season so I'll give it a try :)

My Mom makes all her own soups and I've got into it too and this recipe does sound lovely. Thanks for sharing it :)

SnoWhite said...

This looks yummy! My husband was just asking me for a baked potato soup like this. Thanks for the recipe.

Hunger and Thirst said...

Well, I gave this a try on a snowy night last week, and was delighted at the texture of the soup - so creamy! I'll be featuring your recipe among my picks for Best of the Blog Hop this week.

Tamarah said...

Yummy! Great recipe! I would love it if you would share this recipe on my weekly recipe swap. And while your there you can check out other great recipes!

http://homeandpantry.blogspot.com/2010/11/pantry-recipe-swap.html

Abundance Yeah said...

This is one of my favorites

This is such a nice blog. I'm a new follower, following from a blog hop.
http://abundanceyeah.blogspot.com/2010/11/anatomy-of-leftover-turkey-dirty-word.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails