Monday, November 22

Chipotle Beef Chili with Lime Crema

Outside our bedroom window it looks like this right now:






















and from the looks of it, a good portion of the nation looks that way too--or at least the cold part.  Our expected high tomorrow is a whopping 18 15 degrees with a low of 1  -3 degrees (updated forecast!).  Yeah, soup sounds good right now. 

This is one of my husband's favorites.  In fact, it's one of my favorites too.  Now that we have a freezer full of beef, I can plan to make it a lot more.  It comes from that cookbook of the cooking classes my mom took years ago, but I have adapted it so much that I think I can safely call it my own--but the idea for it certainly didn't come from me!

The soup in of itself is really yummy, but I think the lime crema is what makes this.  And although we didn't have either when I made this last week, garnishing with avocados and cilantro is absolutely. wonderful. as well.






















Chipotle Beef Chili

1 lb. beef stew meat
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. chili powder (or more)
28 oz. beef broth ~ about 8 cups
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 Tbsp. minced canned chipotle chilies*
2 cans black beans, drained ~ about 3 cups (I used red beans this time and it was fine--didn't realize I was out of black)
Crushed tortilla chips

Mix everything in the slow cooker, except the tortilla chips.  Set temperature according to what time in needs to be ready--I mix ours up after breakfast and let cook until dinner time, which is usually around 6-8 hours.  Stir occasionally.   Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over crushed tortilla chips.  Top with lime crema and garnish with avocado and chopped cilantro, if desired.  

Lime Crema

1 1/2 cups sour cream
Zest and juice of one lime

Mix together completely.  I do this when I put the soup in the slow cooker, that way the flavors have melded when it comes time to serve.



*For the rest of of the can--I think they are usually sold in seven ounce cans--I throw the whole can in the food processor and puree it.  I portion out tablespoon amounts on wax paper on a cookie sheet, and freeze.  Once entirely frozen, I stick all the portions in a zip top bag and store in the freezer--no waste and they are pre-portioned the next time you need some. I have never used a whole can at once, but that's just me.

***************

This recipe is linked to:

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

Designs By Gollum Foodie Friday
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

Hearth 'n Soul Recipe Swap  
Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Real Food Wednesday
Life As Mom Ultimate Recipe Swap




8 comments:

Rhondi said...

BURRRRRR! That's freezing! I just love chili and this would definitely help warm you up. I like how you use stew meat and a crock pot. I bet your house smelled good all day!

cheryl@scrapaddict4sure said...

I am so jealous the high today was 82!It's not always this warm in Houston but I cant wait for the temperature to go down so I can make chili. I like what you did with the lime great job!

Kim said...

This sounds SO good! We love southwestern type soups. Going to have to try this one!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

This sounds so delicious, and the chipotle tip is great.

Heather S-G said...

mmmmmm....yes, please! You have snow? It seems to me like we're never gonna get any! So pretty :) Perfect way to warm up the family! Thanks so much for sharing this w/ the hearth and soul hop this week.

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

1. That is too cold.

2. This sounds soooo good!

3. Your daughter is adorable!

:)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

No snow yet, but it isn't too far off. :) This sounds like a perfect comfort food. :) MIght have to try with the venison that ds and dh brought home. :)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

That looks perfect for a snowy day.
Sue :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails