Tuesday, November 23

Cranberry Sauce or Relish?

I apologize as this might be a little late to make for the big day on Thursday, but if it inspires just one person, then I've done my job.  'Cause I'm so inspirational and all.  

My husband was never a fan of cranberry sauce before he met me.  I made my specialty--fresh cranberry sauce the year we were engaged--and I practically had to twist his arm to try some.  He told me, "I DON'T like cranberry sauce."  And I batted my eyelashes and asked, "Please?  Try mine?"  And he did.  And he was in love.  He decided that he did like cranberry sauce--and not just because he was marrying me.

(Let me tell you folks--this is the man who is not afraid to make suggestions about my cooking.  He's constantly telling me how I can improve in my craft.  However these suggestions usually entail adding more spice, more kick, more umph! and then I kindly remind him that Peanut and I have to eat it too, so he can add it to his own helping--which he does.  Liberally.)  

But this sauce or relish?  It's really that good.  And it's sooo easy--I really don't understand why you would ever buy the canned stuff.  Unless of course you are just a big fan of the log of cranberry sauce.  And this won't help you if that's the case. 

To be perfectly honest, the recipe isn't really mine--it's the recipe on the back of the bag.  Except I do tinker with it a little bit.  My mama taught me a trick years ago and it definitely works for me.  For a thicker sauce, decrease the water by half.  That's it.  You get a nice, thick, yummy Thanksgiving condiment.























Fresh Cranberry Sauce

1 12 oz. bag fresh cranberries
1/2 cup water
1 cup of sugar (I used dehydrated cane juice)
zest of 1 orange

Mix water and sugar in saucepan over medium heat.  Allow sugar to dissolve completely and bring mixture to a boil.  Immediately add in cranberries and bring back to a boil.  Berries will start to burst--this is what you want.  Stir occasionally and once nearly all berries have burst, stir in the orange zest.  Simmer another minute or two and that's it.  It's done.  Pour into a *heat resistant bowl and allow to cool completely before you refrigerate.  Once cooled, refrigerate until you serve. 

*I failed to do this the first year I was on my own.  I poured the hot sauce into a crystal bowl.  And this probably wouldn't have been that big of deal, expect my little apartment was cold.  And that made for a cold, crystal bowl.  We all know what happens when you mix hot and cold when it comes to glass/crystal.  Yes, it shattered.  And I cried.  Literally.  But it was because my mom gave me the bowl and that broke my heart.  Plus, I had to clean up the cranberries dripping off the counter and the shattered glass and go to the store for more berries.   So learn your lesson from me--just put them in a metal or plastic bowl until it's time to serve.

Trust me. 

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

This recipe is linked to:

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Designs By Gollum Foodie Friday
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Hearth 'n Soul Recipe Swap at Premeditated Leftovers

Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday  
 
Life As Mom Ultimate Recipe Swap 
Rock 'n Share Wednesday at the Shady Porch 

4 comments:

poppilinnstudios said...

I just might give this a try! I love cranberry sauce and have always thought about making my own. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
-Lynn

Nann said...

Love cranberries and these look SO good. What a beautiful family you have! And a very charming blog. Found you on Foodie Friday and am so glad I did. I too had a similar experience with the crystal and cold. We sure learn from our mistakes don't we!!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Jackie,
We just have to have our homemade Cranberry Sauce with our Thanksgiving dinner. I like your addition of the orange. My very best wishes to you and your family for a blessed Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

I love all things cranberry...even the log. ha .ha This does look, and sound really good I hope to try it over the holidays. I would love to have you share this at my party! http://theshadyporch.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails