Saturday, May 28

Tried It & Loved It: Mushroom Quinoa Pilaf














Quinoa. I finally tried quinoa.

For those of you who are like me and have seen this used in recipes or have seen this around the blogshere and thought for the longest time it was pronounced “ki-noah” like I did…. no, it’s actually pronounced “keen-waugh.” SO glad I could be of service and save you from this grammar faux pas I egregiously made for so long.

Hubs’ cousin actually inspired me.  I had been thinking about trying it and she emailed me one day asking if I had tried it because she was looking for some new recipes to use it in.  She also warned me that it was best to soak the quinoa prior to cooking—she had had the best results that way.

So my next trip to the store, I got some quinoa in the bulk section.  There it sat for several weeks, until a few weeks ago when I actually thought ahead and incorporated it to my menu plan.

We tried it and I loved it!  Hubs liked it—he didn’t say he loved it.  Now had it had chipoltes in it, I am sure he would have loved it.  I’m just sayin’.



























Mushroom Quinoa Pilaf ~ adapted from $5 Dinners

1 cup quinoa
Water, for soaking

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 oz can sliced mushrooms, undrained
1/2 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp parsley

Soak quinoa in enough water to generously cover the quinoa (about two cups) for about 24 hours. Caution, quinoa may start to sprout.  It's okay, it is still perfectly fine to eat.  After soaking, drain and set aside. 

In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat and saute onions until tender crisp.  Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add in mushrooms and liquid along with quinoa, chicken stock, and parsley.  Season with salt and pepper as needed.  Quinoa will start look translucent when cooked, and you know it's done when it is no longer firm--very similar to rice.  You may want to add a little additional chicken stock if necessary.   Serve as a side with your choice of meat and fresh veggie.



1 comment:

lindsblog said...

Sounds nummy! We'll have to try it out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails