Monday, May 9

I'm Spreading My Wings

One might think that this going to be some heartfelt post about going outside my comfort zone and doing something hugely important in my life or for the community or something else divinely meaningful.

Not so much.

I have this thing for garden salads.  When you see green salads listed on my menu plans, it's always your standard lettuce/mixed greens-tomato-carrot-celery-cucumber-green onion kind of salad.  One may even call it a garden salad.  Oh, and if bell peppers weren't too costly that week, I might throw some of those in too.  'Cause I'm adventuresome like that.

It truly might be that I have a thing for ranch dressing.  Especially my homemade variety.  It's so garlic-y and good.  And what better kind of salad for ranch dressing than a garden salad?   I might mix it up occasionally and make basil pesto ranch or honey mustard....but it really doesn't happen all too often.  I am my father's daughter through and through. 

I am no stranger to different kinds of green salads either.  I even like them.  I like Asian inspired salads and whenever we are at my parents, my mom always has some type of non garden variety salad--you know the kind--with some sort of fruit and nuts and a tangy vinaigrette.  Really tasty and yum, but for some reason I never make that kind of salad at home. 

It's always garden salad and ranch dressing.  However, ranch dressing has mayo.  Sigh.  I have nothing against mayo--I still even buy the conventional kind.  It's the soybean oil I have an issue with--and most conventional brands of mayonnaise contain it.  I know you can make your own, but the raw egg thing has me kind of creeped out.  In defense of raw eggs, I've also heard there's no issue if the eggs are pastured.  However, using a "whole food" oil is tricky as well.  Extra virgin olive oil, peanut oil, and sesame oil all have too strong a flavor, coconut oil will turn to a solid once refrigerated, and most other oils are bad for you in one way or another.  So I haven't even gone there yet and meanwhile I continue to buy conventional mayo. 

Anyhow, I digress.

Back to the salad I came up with a few weeks ago. This salad is super easy, super yum, and it doesn't contain the aforementioned perplexing mayo.  Several weeks ago, I had a bunch of greens that needed using up.  (Love the organic mixed greens from Costco!!!)  I also had some feta cheese.  Everything else I had was in the pantry and we are loving this new variety of salad!

 

























Tender Greens with Balsamic Vinaigrette ~ from me

Mixed greens (have I mentioned I love the organic mixed greens from Costco?)
Dried cranberries
Sliced almonds
Feta cheese, crumbled
Green or red onion, sliced thinly
Extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Black pepper, freshly cracked


Layer greens, cranberries, almonds, feta, and onion on salad plate.  Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and top with black pepper.




♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

This recipe is linked to:

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Designs By Gollum Foodie Friday
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Hearth 'n Soul Recipe Swap  

Life As Mom Ultimate Recipe Swap
Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday 





8 comments:

Miriam said...

I LOVE this salad! Great post :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters
P.S. Following you now :)

Swathi said...

Thanks for sharing with hearth and soul blog hop.

Swathi said...

Do you keep oil in refrigerator, I don't. This garden salad looks delicious.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Jackie,
This is one of my favorite salad's, it is so fresh and inviting, wait a second I am going to get my fork. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

We used to go through one container of that mix each week, but now that I'm increasing my veggie intake, I can eat an entire box all by myself. I LOVE COSTCO - don't know what in the world I'd do without it.

Nicole Feliciano said...

Perfectly fresh and healthy. I found you at the linky on designs by gollum. I hope you'll swing by the Momtrends linky sometime soon:

http://www.momtrends.com/2011/05/easy-chicken-pot-pie/

Unknown said...

I love salads... and agree there's something fantastic about them! I've not had much experience with making my own dressings but do keep a homemade ranch mix in my fridge and love my balsamic and olive oil. And... isn't Costco the greatest? Thanks so much for linking up to Friday Potluck.

readwatchrelax said...

i'm pretty much a garden salad and ranch kinda girl too - lol! but i'm liking the looks of this one and all the ingredients :) - yummy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails