Monday, May 23

Onion Rings and Special Sauce

So during my little unexpected blogging hiatus, I made some homemade onion rings.  We had these with some sizzling grass fed steaks on our anniversary.  Yes, that's how we roll--onion rings on our anniversary--but seriously, can you say yum?   We sure did.  This is entirely my own creation as I was computer less and had no way to reference any online recipes.  They came out pretty well, if I do say so myself!



























Onion Rings with Special Sauce

1 large, softball sized onion
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup bread crumbs, preferably panko
3/4 cup flour
Coconut Oil (I used expellar pressed, unless of course you would like coconut flavored onion rings)
Seasoning salt

In a large skillet, over medium high heat, heat coconut oil.  There should be enough oil so that it is about a half inch deep.  You know it's hot enough to start frying when you stick a wooden spoon in the oil and bubbles roll off the spoon quickly.  Thank you, Rachael Ray, for that tip. 

Peel onion and slice into half inch slices, separating rings individually.  Soak onion slices in buttermilk for about ten minutes.

Mix bread crumbs and flour evenly, adding several dashes of seasoning salt.  Dredge onion slices in flour mixture and allow to set up on a plate prior to frying.  Fry rings in an even layer, flipping after about 3-4 minutes.  Rings should just start to look a little golden, but they won't be super dark due to the coconut oil. Remove from hot oil and layer on a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet.  Season with additional salt, if needed. Repeat until all rings are fried.  Keep warm in a 250 degree oven until ready to serve.  

Special Sauce

1/2 cup mayonaisse
1/2 cup barbeque sauce

Mix together thoroughly.  Serve with homemade onion rings.




♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

This recipe is linked to:

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Designs By Gollum Foodie Friday
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Hearth 'n Soul Recipe Swap  

La Bella Vita's Fresh Clean and Pure Friday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday 





12 comments:

Melinda said...

Yum. Yum. Yum! I love onion rings - and since you ate them for your anniversary - the calories don't count!!

Miriam said...

Oh, yum! I'm a HUGE onion ring fan, espacially served with veggie burgers (it's a perfect combo :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Kirstin said...

I LOVE onion rings! These sound yummy. So, a question...so with expellar pressed coconut oil, do you not get the coconut taste? I have heard it is so good for you but I cannot stand the taste of coconut )C:

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those look delicious. My husband would LOVE Those and I would too. Happy anniversary to you. I'd love for you to come over and show off your onion rings at These Chicks Cooked recipe spotlight. Have a good one :)
Katie

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Oh how we love great onion rings! Could eat them all day long! Your recipe sounds outstanding! I'm already one of your followers and would like to invite you to post this recipe over on Fresh Clean and Pure Friday/Seasonal Saturday! Happy Memorial Day, Roz

Kathleen said...

They look delicious. That's how I make them too except for the oil.

Jacqueline said...

We love that special sauce. Are you from Utah by any chance, as we have that sauce at a couple of hamburger places! The onion rings sound great. We haven't made any in forever! Thanks!

Miranda | Mangoes and Chutney said...

Homemade onion rings are the best!
Would love for you to share this at Fat Camp Friday this weekend. One recipe is picked every Monday and featured on my front page all week! http://tiny.cc/FatCampFriday29

Miz Helen said...

Hi Jackie,
I have to clean my screen now to get the finger prints off of it. I was trying to get those wonderful onion rings, they look soooo good! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you soon!

Our Italian Kitchen said...

Those onion rings look great!

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

That would drive me crazy going without my computer! It's great you are back! Thank you for sharing another delicious recipe with the Hearth and Soul blog hop. I love the sound of your onion rings, and what a fantastic and easy sauce - yum!

Frugal MommaB said...

We make that special sauce all the time! It's great with a huge salad.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails