Monday, May 17

Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

I have very fond memories of weekend breakfasts as a kid.  My Mom used to do lots of canning when my sister and I were younger and one year she canned apples.  Lots and lots of apples.  The apples were cored, peeled, and sliced and then canned in their juices with sugar and lots of cinnamon.  They were so yummy.  

One Saturday morning, my Dad was cooking breakfast (his specialty) and he decided to put some of these apples in the pancakes he making.

Life has never been the same since.  

So I had some apples that I needed to use up.  And I needed to make breakfast this morning.  Of course, you can see where this is headed...while these pancakes don't include the delicious canned apples of my youth, these pancakes were still very good.

In addition, I have been trying to make things a little healthier around here, so I made these with some whole wheat flour.  And yes, these pancakes were still good despite that!  Of course, you can always use the whole amount of flour with all purpose flour if you so desire. 


























Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

Apples: 

Peel 1 large apple and seed and core it.  I diced mine up pretty finely, however as I was doing so, I was thinking it may be just as easy to grate the apple--whichever you prefer.  Mix the apple with several teaspoons sugar and about 1 teaspoon cinnamon.  Set aside.

Pancakes:

2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup milk
1 large egg
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Mix melted butter, milk, and egg.  Add sugar, flours, baking powder, salt.  Mix until just smooth.  

Heat griddle to about 375 degrees.  For each pancake, pour about 1/3 cup of batter and sprinkle about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the diced apples over the batter.  Cook pancake until bubbly on top and edges are starting to dry.  Turn and cook other side until golden brown.  Serve with syrup and additional butter, if desired.  Who doesn't want more butter, though? 

This recipe is linked to:

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
Blessed With Grace Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap  







9 comments:

Tracey said...

This would be a great variation on my regular pancake recipe! Sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

YUMMY!!! for breakfast, lunch or dinner, maybe for dessert. Pancakes anytime of day are GREAT!!!
Geri

SnoWhite said...

those look really good :) love apple and cinnamon together. We often use apples/cinnamon as a topping to our pancakes -- this packs it all in one :)

Brenda said...

That sounds really good! I'll have to try this next time I make pancakes.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, my! These sound absolutely scrumptious!! :D Love apples and cinnamon!

Thank you for sharing!!
Sherry

Michelle said...

These sound scrumptious.

I love your header.

Sarah said...

I think I know what is for breakfast Saturday morning! My family will love these.

Unknown said...

My kids would love these! Who am I kidding, so would I!

Susan said...

These look great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails