Tuesday, June 15

Works For Me Wednesday-Cooking Ground Meat




Let me be up front and entirely honest....I did not think this up.  But I do use this tip I learned watching Rachael Ray.  Where else? 

Cooking ground meat can be such a chore, as you want to break it and up and have fairly, small, uniform sized pieces.  And you could buy one of these to do it.  But I am more along the Alton Brown philosophy about not having "uni-taskers" around the kitchen.  You know, those kitchen tools/gadgets that only do one thing. 

When cooking ground meat, I use just a wooden spoon to break it up in smallish size chunks and then when it's nearly finished cooking, I break up the meat with a potato masher.  Works like a charm every time--nice little uniform chunks of meat. 

Using a potato masher when cooking ground meat definitely works for me.




This post is linked to We Are THAT Family's Works for Me Wednesday





6 comments:

Jenny86753oh9 said...

I don't get to watch Rachel Ray nearly as much as I'd like too, so this is new news for me. Thanks! I'll have to try it next time.

Mom2fur said...

I like the idea of breaking up my ground beef with a potato masher! I actually cook about 5 or so pounds at a time, in my oven. Then I transfer it to smaller containers when cooled down a bit. The potato masher idea seems easier than busting it up with a wooden spoon, so I'll give that a try.

Kim said...

I just use the side of my plastic spatula. I know a friend who boils her ground beef (5 lbs at a time), then strains it (save the liquid!) and breaks it up by hand once cool - she then puts the liquid inthe fridge overnight, removes the solid fat the next day and simmers the rest down to be beef broth! Cool idea.

annies home said...

I cook my ground beef with a bit of water helps get a not so greasy taste

Denise said...

Thanks for this tip!! I read this yesterday and tried the tip tonight when making our tacos! It worked perfectly!!

Sarah said...

haha, a ground beef cutting tool! What sized kitchen would a person need to have a tool for every task?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails