Saturday, March 12

Tried It & Loved It: Chicken Tortilla Soup















I used to make a taco soup with shredded chicken and it was so good and so easy.  I would still be making it, but it calls for a packet of taco seasoning and a packet of ranch seasoning for the flavors--and we all know I am not crazy about processed foods.  At least whenever and where ever I can avoid it.  So avoid it I have--I just haven't made that kind of soup in quite some time.  The Pioneer Woman had a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup back in January and I knew I wanted to try it.  Of course, I can never follow a recipe to a tee, so I switched it up for ingredients I had on hand--although I am sure hers would be just perfect if followed correctly!






















Chicken Tortilla Soup ~ adapted from Ree, The Pioneer Woman

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 cup Diced Onion
½ cup Diced Green Bell Pepper
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1-½ teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
½ teaspoon Salt
1 can (10 Oz. Can) Rotel Tomatoes And Green Chilies (I used the house brand tomatoes with green chilies)
6 cups Chicken Stock
3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 cans (15 Oz. Can) Black Beans, Drained (about 3 cups beans)
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used leftovers from the roasted sticky chicken I make)

In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Saute green pepper and onion until both are tender.   Add in garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt and heat through until fragrant.  Stir in Rotel, chicken stock, tomato paste, black beans, and shredded chicken.  Bring to a bubble and then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole, and chopped cilantro for garnish. 






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails