Saturday, January 15

Tried It & Loved It: Lemon Scones with Lemon Glaze



I read a lot of blogs and I print off nearly just as many recipes.  I also join in several different recipe blog hops each week and I come across so many different recipes that I have high inspirations of trying.  Combine that with my obsession dedication to watching Rachael Ray every day (I heart our DVR - free for 12 months - so I double heart it!) and all my food magazine subscriptions and I've got a mess of recipes just waiting to be tried out.  And some of them I do try right away.  Others though, get stored in my recipe binder, and wait patiently. 

And then I forget about them. 

Later, as I am flipping through my binder looking for a recipe I've already made, I come across one that I've been wanting to try and think, "I really should make that."

And then I forget again.  And so the cycle goes.

So in effort to motivate myself (and share some great recipes with you!), I am starting a new feature called Tried It & Loved It which will appear here each and every Saturday.  This way I can try some new recipes and pass along ones that are so worth your time too.

Oh, the sacrifices I make. 

This recipe is one that I actually made fairly soon after I came across it.  And they are delicious, but I don't make them too often.  Not because they aren't absolutely yummy, but I think scones should be light and crumbly and all purpose flour is a sure way to achieve that.  I have been substituting whole wheat flour in more and more recipes like cookies, muffins, and many others, but I just can't seem to do it when it comes to scones.

But we can all indulge once and a while, right? 

Of course, I did change it around just a smidge--I didn't make mini scone bites for fear I would eat the whole batch.  I did standard sized scones.  The icing also made quite a bit the first time, so I reduced it by half the next time around and it was perfect.






















Lemon Scone Bites with Lemon Glaze - from Kate at Cooking During Stolen Moments

Scones:

2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 c. butter, cut into small pieces
2 t. freshly grated lemon zest
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 c. milk

In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a pastry cutter/two knives/your hands, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  In a separate bowl, mix zest, lemon juice, and milk and pour immediately onto dry mixture and mix until combined and dough can be shaped into a ball.  On a floured surface, press dough down into a disk shape until it is about a 1/2 inch thick.  Slice disk in half and cut each half in thirds.  This is for standard size scones, to make the mini scone bites, please refer to the original recipe

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes.  Let cool completely prior to glazing. 
    Lemon Glaze:

    1/2 c. powdered sugar
    2 t. freshly grated lemon zest
    1-2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice (more or less depending on consistency)

    Mix together zest and powdered sugar and add in juice until mixture is a desired glaze consistency.  Place scones on cooling rack set over a cookie sheet (easy clean up!) and drizzle glaze over scones.  Let dry before storing.  

    Not that you'll have any left. 




    No comments:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails