Wednesday, January 12

Basil Pesto Ranch

This recipe came as a suggestion from my husband.  Several weeks ago, we were having green salad with our customary homemade ranch dressing (yum! yum!) and he suggested I add some of my homemade pesto to it.  At the end of last summer, to utilize my mass amounts of fresh basil I had on hand, I made up a whole bunch of pesto and then froze it.  Some I froze in ice cube trays (for approximate tablespoon portions) and some I froze in larger 1/2 cup portions.  Until he suggested it, I had completely forgot all about my pesto and I thought it was a great way to start using it up. 

I thought his idea sounded wonderful and the verdict....

it was.  






















Basil Pesto Ranch

1 cup buttermilk (you can make your own if you don't have any)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
4 tablespoons homemade or prepared pesto 
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise

Combine the buttermilk, lemon juice, and all dry ingredients, whisking until combined.  Add the mayo and pesto and whisk until smooth.  Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to develop flavors. Serve over green salad.


This recipe is linked to:

Designs By Gollum Foodie Friday 
Life As Mom Ultimate Recipe Swap
Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday 
Paisley Passions Fun With Food Friday



13 comments:

Katie said...

This sounds delicious. Next time I make some pesto I will have to remember this!

Visiting from URS...thanks for sharing!

Miriam said...

I adore this dressing already! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Melynda said...

This sounds so good, I have basil pesto in the freezer just waiting to be enjoyed. Thanks.

21st Century Housewife© said...

This sounds wonderful. I love homemade dressings, and we are huge pesto fans in our house!

Miz Helen said...

Thank goodness you brought over a great dressing for our salad at Full Plate Thursday. I am putting it on my salad right now and I can hardly wait to try it. Thank you so much for coming today and please come back!

Domestic Nerd said...

Looks great! I always love new homemade dressing recipes!

Donnie said...

That looks like it would taste really good.

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

SUPER yummy looking! So glad I stumbled upon your blog! I host a new food linky called, Fun w/ Food Friday. I would LOVE for you to come by and link up some of your DELICIOUS recipes if you have time.

http://www.paisleypassions.blogspot.com

Moogie said...

Yum.... I'm your newest follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

Yum...simple and delicious. I'm sure I'll love this dressing!

I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

MOMMY-MOMO said...

im coming over from Organizing junkie menu monday! that looks soo good! I love ranch so i have to give this a try :)

ButterYum said...

Huh... I've never thought to combine pesto and ranch dressing. Great idea!

Shu Han said...

that sounds like such a great dressing! a combination of 2 delicious sauces in the first place! this is a great idea for sth to include my pesto in (:

http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/01/chunky-walnut-basil-pesto.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails