Saturday, February 26

Tried It & Loved It: Biscuits














Many moons ago if I ever got a hankering for biscuits, I would on occasion (gasp!), purchase the kind in the tube.  However, two and a half years ago, when a very frugal grocery budget was of utter importance, to save money, I started making my own biscuits at home after finding a recipe online*.  Then, during the last year, as whole foods have become more of a concern, I have altered this recipe just a tad in order to incorporate more whole foods.  These are wonderful--a complete indulgence when using all purpose flour and still wonderful even when incorporating a little more nutrient-rich whole wheat flour.  Either way, definitely worth the extra effort to make these at home.

I also love this recipe because it doesn't call for buttermilk--which I don't always have on hand.  I know you can make your own using milk and vinegar.  While I never hesitate to do this when making my homemade ranch dressing, for some reason I can't bring myself to use "fake" buttermilk when making "buttermilk" biscuits.

I know.

*I wish I could give credit where credit is do, but I wrote this recipe down on a slip of paper and I couldn't tell you the original source.  So if this is yours or you know who's it is, please tell me!























Buttermilk Biscuits ~ adapted from somewhere on the World Wide Web

2 cups flour (all purpose or a mix of both white whole wheat and all purpose, as pictured above)
3 tsp. aluminum free baking powder (if you use standard baking powder, use 4 tsp)
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/3 cup butter, cubed in small pieces
3/4 ~ 1 cup milk (I start with a three quarters cup, but I usually add a bit more to get the dough to all come together)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix together flour(s), baking powder, salt, and sugar.  Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles course crumbs.  Add in milk and mix until dough just holds together.  On a floured surface, turn dough and kneed several times.  Flatten dough to a half of an inch thick and use biscuit cutter or a floured drinking glass to cut biscuits.  (I get eight biscuits.  Every. time.)  Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes, or until biscuits are just starting to brown on top.  Serve with lots of butter and jam, if desired. 

This recipe is linked to:




2 comments:

Angel Reuther said...

We're so funny. I can't get myself to use "homemade" buttermilk for my dressing, but have no problem in baked goods. :)

Ott, A. said...

nothing beats a homemade biscuit with your dinner meal. Thanks for linking up to the Iron chef Challenge.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails